Advocacy is a process of supporting and enabling people to: Express their views and concerns. Access information and services. Defend and promote their rights and responsibilities. Explore choices and options.
Five principles of advocacy:
- Clarity of purpose
- Equality and Diversity
The role of an advocate is to offer independent support to those who feel they are not being heard and to ensure they are taken seriously and that their rights are respected. An advocate does not represent their own views but amplifies that of the person they are supporting.
The purpose of independent advocacy is to:
- Assist and support people to speak out/speak up for themselves.
- Ensure that a person's voice is heard and listened to on issues that are important to them.
- Assist people to achieve their goals and/or to access the services they need.
- Protect and promote their rights.
- Have their views and wishes genuinely considered when decisions are being made about their lives.
At EDSUK, we are very lucky to be able to offer an advocacy service to our group members who need it. Should you require our support or more information, you can reach one of our admin team by completing this contact us form.
Please view the following links for more information on advocacy